Press Releasesbfmiff2015 / bringing the unseen to light
Latest press releases downloadable pdfs will open in a separate window
For press stills images and director interviews contact: Joy e:firstname.lastname@example.org
APRIL 8th 2015
bfm International film festival 2015 (bfmiff2015) 12th Edition
Returns to London
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
London— April 8th, 2015. The bfmiff2015 12th Edition returns to London after an absence of 4 years. The festival will take place from Thursday 2nd to Sunday 5th July 2015.
bfmiff2015 has been instrumental in establishing a platform for UK black filmmakers to present their talents and for audiences to engage with this work alongside international films drawn from the USA, Europe, Africa, Caribbean, South America and beyond.
bfmiff2015 will continue this range with a strong line-up of films to include features, documentaries and animation alongside industry-led workshops and seminars. Founded in 1998 by iconic filmmaker Menelik Shabazz, bfmiff is the longest running black independent film festival in the UK.
Bfmiff’s Founder, Menelik said,
“I am proud to present the 12th Edition of the bfm International Film Festival this year. We continue to give audiences the best in black world cinema as well as being a platform for film & TV industry seminars and workshops. The black independent sector has long been starved of opportunities to engage with industry as well as to present their work. The festival will/has become the gateway for such engagement.”
bfmiff2015 seeks sponsorship and partnerships. Previous collaborations have come from Film London, the BBC, The Independent, BFI and The American Embassy.
Notes to Editors
- Menelik Shabazz is one of the leading pioneers in black British film and TV. Best known for the cult classic ‘Burning An Illusion 1981’ and ‘The Story of Lovers Rock 2011’. Shabazz has worked in the British film and TV industry for nearly 40 years and has produced work for ITV, BBC, Channel 4 as well as independently. His latest feature ‘Looking For Love’ is to premier at the BFI later this year.
- The bfmiff2015 Coordinator is Jennifer G. Robinson. Initial communication by email at: email@example.com
- Photos on request.
- Press contact for print and broadcast media, interviews, press accreditation requests should be made via Joy Coker at Coco Orange – a media agency specializing in Film Publicity, Press Screenings, Event Management and Publishing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAY 18 2015
bfm International film festival 2015 12th Edition
Black Filmmaker (bfmiff2015) Official Films represent a range of filmmaking talent from around the Globe
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
London— May 18, 2015. The bfmiff2015 12th Edition has announced its official programme, a strong schedule of films, documentaries and shorts, reflecting the diverse array of black filmmaking talent internationally and in the UK. The screenings mark bfmiff2015’s dedication to support independent film. The festival runs from the Thurs 2 to Sun 5 July ‘15 at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre (BGAC) in London.
The bfmiff2015 includes films from the USA, Europe, Africa, Caribbean, and South America, including features, documentaries and animation alongside industry-led workshops and seminars. The bfm festival, which started in 1999/98 is the longest running black independent film festival in the UK.
bfmiff2015 will screen a selection of films, shorts, features and documentaries a celebration of artistic excellence bringing together filmmakers and cinema enthusiasts to engage in an empowering world cinema experience, enlightening the work of the independent filmmaker.
bfmiff2015 opens on 2nd July with the documentary “Looking for Love” by pioneer film director/producer and bfmiff2015 festival Founder Menelik Shabazz. It is an intimate and no holds barred look at black male/female relationships. Interviews with individuals, groups, psychotherapists and comedians shed light on sex, love, intimacy and self-love.
““It was so important and still is important that we watch films that represent our cultural experience. In the UK we are limited in the types of films we are exposed to. The films we see are mainly out of black Hollywood and they represent a small part of the range of films that are being made. So many films are being produced around the world and the bfm International Film Festival is the place where we bring these unseen gems to UK audiences.”
bfmiff2015 official selection include:
‘American Beatboxer ’Dir: Manauvaskar Kublall, 2013 Pro:Richard McKeown, this film documents one of the most neglected genres of Hip Hop culture and places it in its rightful place in Hip Hop history as well as an American art form. Soundtrack is provided by hip-hop legends like Jarobi White of A Tribe Called Quest.
‘On My Own’ Dir: by Rachel Miller-Bradshaw (2011) USA An eye-opening documentary that shatters the stigma of single motherhood. Through conversations with single mothers, fathers, community leaders and family experts, the documentary offers another facade to the one-sided image of single.
Faroeste Caboclo (Brazilian Western) Brazil 2013 dir: Rene Sampaio crime drama based on the song of the same name by Brazilian Rock band Legiao Urbana.
Afua’s Diary UK 2014 dir: Ben Owusu falling in love is complicated! In this comedy drama Afua’s complicated life threatens her new found love.
Short films include “The Legend of Nyong Hills Dir: Kwame Nyongo, Kenya and “The Mango Tree” dir: Ted Sandiford St Lucia.
Press contact for print and broadcast media, interviews, reviews, press accreditation requests: Joy at Coco Orange email: email@example.com. 0844 870 7326
Notes to Editors
- Menelik Shabazz is one of the leading pioneers in black British film and TV. Best known for the cult classic BURNING AN ILLUSION( 1981) and most recently THE STORY OF LOVER’S ROCK (2011) Shabazz has worked in the British film and TV industry for nearly 40 years and has produced work for ITV, BBC, Channel 4 as well as independently.
- The bfmiff2015 Coordinator is Jennifer G. Robinson contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information on full films selection and details of the workshops and seminars or stills please request.
- Coco Orange Ltd is a media company specialising in providing business services to SME’s and the creative industries which includes PR, Copywriting, Content Management, Film Publicity, Press Screenings, Event Management and Publishing for business contact: email@example.com www.coco-orange.com coming soon.